Monday, May 4, 2015

Week 1 (Jacob-Limoges)

Well this was a wonderful start of the transfer. Obviously the most time consuming event of the transfer was blues conference. The train ride went by fast as I threw myself into the scriptures and some great talks to pass the time! We showed up Thursday night and went to a place called Master Tacos. very yummy. Friday we had a great conference. It was the exact same presentation given at my own blues conference almost 2 years ago and at the blues conference that I attended with Elder Frost a year ago. It is amazing how the same words and presentation can mean so much just with a change of scenery and a different perspective. This time I felt like the conference was really for our amis more than for me while in the past I felt it was more for me. I love the quote by Joseph Smith "This is the principle on which the government of heaven is conducted—by revelation adapted to the circumstances in which the children of the kingdom are placed." (Preach my gospel ch 4)

I can't remember if I told you but Julian got a really strong answer that the Book of Mormon is true and so he has been really progressing!! He came to church yesterday and is make lots of progress. He told us the other day that he wants to move the baptism to next week (May 14th which is a Thursday) so we are really trying to make sure he is ready for that and that he will be completely ready. 

Another wonderful moment this week was teaching Eric. We got there Tuesday morning to teach him at the church. We invited the Young Men's president to come teach with us and he decided to bring along the deacon's quorum president (and the only other young man in the ward!) Well we were trying to teach Eric and the lesson was going pretty well; we were teaching the gospel of Jesus Christ and so it wasn't too complicated. But about 10 minutes in the problem was that the Eric and Matthew (13) started to get a little wiggly and man I had a huge vision into the eyes of 1) my many many primary and young men's teachers and 2) possibly my future callings. I was not very prepared but we tried to be as creative as we could to get Eric to concentrate. In the end I came out with much more sympathy for the many leaders in the church!

We also had a great lesson with a wonderful couple, Vincent and Gaelle. Vincent is a bus driver and they have two kids. They are both not sure what exists. They have been friends with the missionaries for a while now and that has been very fun but on Wednesday we sat down and taught them all about Faith and the Plan of Salvation! Gaelle wants to believe so bad and she loves her kids so much! We left them with the plan of salvation brochure and will hopefully be able to see them this week. They are great examples of the good that can come naturally from people even if they are "believing". They have such great standards and try so hard to make their house a place where love can be!

I am so grateful for this gospel! I love the scriptures, especially the Book of Mormon. I am so grateful for our agency and the many things we can do because of it. I know that doing nothing does not make us happy but using our freewill to do many good things and fillings our lives with engagements. I know that our Heavenly Father loves us and wants us to be happy!

I love you all and am excited to talk to you next week,

Elder Pettingill
Limoges District before transfers
Blues Conference
There's that familiar goofy face!

No comments: