Monday, June 9, 2014

Les mains du Seigneur (the hands of the Lord) (Katie-Toul)

Hey everybody :)

I can't believe this week is over. What a crazy week! Oh my goodness. Okay, over it. 

But anyway, I really just want to tell you all that I know without any doubt that the Lord is right here with us in this work. My testimony has grown so much -- although I didn't think it was suffering that badly... -- this past week. Can we talk about tender mercies please? One thing I absolutely love about the verse in 1 Nephi 1 that talks about that is that he doesn't just say, "Oh, yeah, and the Lord thoughtfully gave me a couple of tender mercies every now and then because He felt bad for me." No. He says something along the lines of, "The tender mercies of the Lord will be over all of his children even to the power of delivrance." The Lord gives us little moments of kindness, of love so that we can make it through the hard times, getting to the end with a smile.

And it's so true.

I found out a couple of heart-breaking things this week that probably wouldn't even make you blink because as missionaries, we have different priorities. BUT, despite all of that, Heavenly Father forced me into recognizing how much He loves me. I don't have any pictures, but this weekend was stake conference. A couple of months ago, when I found out when it was I was SO excited. I would get to see all of my friends from Mulhouse and Lux! It's like a dream come true! Then about 2 weeks ago, I found out that there was going to be a special thing with some general authorities in Bern, Switzerland and so it would be broadcasted to all of the wards. This meant that actually, no, I wouldn't get to see any of my friends. This saddened me, but life must go on! So I stopped thinking about it and just kept working. THEN this week happened and I had a hard time seeing how the Lord could be here with us if all of these sad things keep happening. And then Saturday happened. 

I was on my way into the building when I hear a familiar voice behind me...so I turned around. And there were TWO of the wonderful American families from Lux walking! They saw me when I turned around and a special moment was shared :) Then my mind starting working...and I thought, "But, if Luxembourg is here...then..." Yep. EVERYONE. It was just the Sunday session that would be broadcasted, and as this was the adult session, all of my friends came up to Nancy. I would have cried, but I didn't need to embarass myself. I saw 5 or 6 families from Mulhouse, including a recent convert of the Elders, and also 4 families from Luxembourg. That night when I got home, I cried. Better timing? Didn't exist. 

On the other hand, I love my companion and I still love the work. Last week started a little slow because of the adjustment for Soeur Johns, but by this week the Lord helped us double the lessons taught from last week. We were also able to finally see Louis and Sylvie (the couple who celebrated my birthday with me), and it was so good. We met this cool family this week that was a referral from a super old couple in our branch (which means I was expecting someone old -- don't do that) with 2 young girls that are absolutely ADORABLE. One of them reminds me so much of Anna :) 

Also, we went to Strasbourg this week for our big district meeting with our whole zone. Got a little closer to my home of Alsace :)

I love you all! Also the scriptures are super great. 1 Nephi 11:17 is a winner. 

Love,
Soeur Katie Pettingill

No comments: