Monday, October 20, 2014

Like stones in a river (Katie-Angers)

Dear everyone,

This week was about as up-and-down as the weather was (which was a lot). Angers was like, "Oh let's make it rain! Or let's be sunny and warm! Nope, fog sounds good to me!" All week long. But hey, no complaining. It's fall, right?

Anyway, we had something happen this week that changed the entire course of my mission (this is where the whole up-and-down thing comes in): INTERVIEWS. I've had interviews enough times on my mission, but this time was different. President asked a lot about my spiritual health, and I feel like spiritually I'm up and running! But we talked a little bit about my physical health, and I expressed some concerns and how all I want is to be able to work top notch until I'm done. And then he connected something that I had never realized before--my physical health is actually connected to my spiritual health. We were able to uncover some reasons for why physically, I was having some trouble, and make plans to fix these problems. What was interesting was that he took the question that I asked him, and turned it into something completely different than I originally thought!

And it all came down to how well my comp and I plan at night.

Nope, definitely wasn't expecting that one. President told me that planning is an opportunity each night to receive personal revelation with which Heavenly Father will tell us exactly where we need to be the next day and who we need to talk with. Each night is, or should be, a spiritual experience. He explained to me about the danger of habits in missionary work, and how planning can become a habit, but it never should be. I can honestly say that I am not a bad planner. But I can also say that I have never thought about how incredibly essential planning well is.

Later during personal studies, I read 2 Nephi 32:8, which talks about the importance of praying before we do anything. Ok, let me apply this to first my current life, then my after-life (after mission life I should say). If I do everything that I need to be doing by first asking the Lord's advice, He will guide me to where I need to be. This applies to each and every one of us, actually. Who doesn't want to be guided by the Lord? I certainly do. And voilà my personal reflections for the week. In applying this new-found tool for doing missionary work (a tool that I've only been half-using my entire mission), I have seen God's hand clearer than ever before.

It's still a little rough around the edges, but you know what they say about stones in rivers, and how sometimes we need to be tossed around a little before we become all shiny and smooth. Eternal truth, that is.

Last Monday, we went to a beautiful cemetery. During this week, I got to see two of my very favorite sisters, and enjoyed the beautiful fall trees. Unfortunately, I had to change my SD card because I ran out of space and I completely forgot to bring the old one, so I'll send you more pictures next week. For now, here's a tree. :)

Have a fantastic week!
Soeur Katie Pettingill


No comments: