Monday, December 30, 2013

Feting...feting...and more feting! (Celebrating, celebrating and more celebrating!) (Katie-Mulhouse)

Hey family! It's been far too long already. Like not even 5 full days, right? I love it :)
So like, I know you're probably all wondering how many miracles I've seen since Christmas and how wonderful I'm doing and whatnot...but...I think the miracle this week is that I didn't die. Of boredom.

Okay, let me explain. Christmas was AMAZING. We had a delicious dinner made up of frog legs, duck, escargots, buches de noëls, green beans, and other various yummy French foods. Malheureusement (unfortunately), after we got home (after skyping you guys, which was the best EVER by the way), we went to bed yada yada.

frog legs

buche de Noel


The next morning, at approximately 5:15, I woke up feeling super nauseous. Could barely move, and so I didn't...for like 3 hours...until I finally threw up. Okay I don't want to make it seem worse than it sounds, but yes I have indeed been stuck inside for the 3 full days after Christmas with the stomach flu. Luckily Sr. Gordon escaped it, but apparently there is a breakout of the stomach flu across France. The same morning we called out health lady, she was dealing with 14 other cases of other missionaries as well. So...that was fun! I've really just had a lot of time to sleep, and to think about why I'm here as a missionary. That first day with the flu was awful. I felt so sick it was terrible, but it was comforting to know that there was one person who at that moment knew exactly how I was feeling, and that was my Savior, Jesus Christ. I have such a strong testimony of this Gospel. It was hard to be a missionary and to be stuck INSIDE, too tired to do anything but sleep, but it is so amazing to know that I AM a missionary. And I'm a missionary because I love this Gospel and I want more than anything to share it with these people of France that I love so much!!

It's been kind of a slow start with Sr. Gordon. We've had lots of fêtes (parties, celebrations) and none of our amis have wanted to see us during the fêtes (holidays). And then I got the flu. And now it's still fêtes (holidays). Christmas contacting is amazing, but this sure is a good time to have faith that there are people waiting for us to find them who are SO ready for this gospel. It's super weird because next week is week 4 of the transfer (DEJA!!!!!!!! ALREADY) and we're fiiiiinally having our first district meeting of the transfer on Thursday. Oh being a missionary is great.

Our focus this week is on finding, and 3 of our amis: Ardian, who wasn't at church again and my heart is just ACHING for that man...and also Yasmina and Renato, a young family related to Mirjana (speaking of Mirjana, here's a random update--we also had exchanges this week, not really me but it was nice for Sr. Gordon to be able to get out of the house, and they went and visited Mirjana and she said their New Year's resolution is to quit smoking...TOGETHER. She said she would call us, hahaha). Anyways, the hard part is getting them to church, and also pray that we can find a LdM (Book of Mormon) in their language because they can't really read French. And also Anthony and his family. I think I've told you a little bit about them...they are Indian and they left their country in order to come here because they are Christian. They are AMAZING. His wife is really sick though, so pray for her.

Anyways, I'm sorry I can't send you any pics, this computer doesn't have a usb port thing. Next week for sure!!

Anyways, this week is extremely important. It's the nouvel an (new year)! And I encourage each of you, while making new years resolutions, to think of how you can grow to become more like Christ. There are only two verses in the bible that talk about Jesus growing up, and one of them is Luke 2:52, "And he grew in wisdom and stature, and in favor with God and with man." (not a direct quote) I encourage you to think about New Year's resolutions that can help you grow as Christ grew, "in wisdom and stature, and in favor with God and with man." Have fun interpreting that scripture; Jesus had a good sense of humor I know it, so your goals don't all have to be like, read my scriptures! Have fun with it! (Not that scripture reading isn't important...) :) My goal as a missionary is to become plus semblable au Christ (more like Christ). So I might as well help my family too, right?! Love you guys! Stay strong!

Avec amour (with love),

Sœur Pettingill

No comments: